Tel: 01273 589777

Advice from Lewes CAB

Many households are struggling this winter, particularly those receiving means-tested benefits. Extra help may be available from Lewes District Council or through Citizens Advice.

Lewes DC has limited Household Support Grant funding remaining. You might also be able to apply for help with rent and/or council tax.

If Housing Benefit or Universal Credit doesn’t cover your rent, you might get a discretionary housing payment. Apply online at

Lewes DC has an exceptional hardship fund providing short term council tax relief to vulnerable clients who get council tax reduction (or who are self-employed and do not qualify). Contact Citizens Advice for more information.

You might be able to pay less council tax or not pay it at all. A member of your household may be discounted, for example, if they have a severe mental impairment. You may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) if you have low income.

Free school meal vouchers are available for children in qualifying families for February half-term and the Easter holiday. Talk to your school or contact East Sussex County Council.

Citizens Advice can do a benefits check, to make sure you are getting what you are entitled to. For households in severe need, this winter we may be able to offer cash vouchers for necessities, including food and fuel. We can refer to local charities, like Lions and Rotary. Contact Citizens Advice on 0808 278 7892 or go to

Anyone requiring support or assistance should contact them on

· Universal Credit Help to Claim line 0800 1448444

· Adviceline 0808 278 7892 Monday – Friday 9am to 5pm.

· Email advice

· Chat online to an advisor

Skip to content