Tel: 01273 589777

Voter ID

The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections. This new requirement will apply for the first time in England at the local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023.

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable.  You can use any of the following:

  • * Passport
  • * Driving licence (including provisional license)
  • * Blue badge
  • * Certain concessionary travel cards
  • * Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • * Biometric Immigration document
  • * Defence identity card
  • * Certain national identity cards

For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit

If you don’t have an accepted form photo ID

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You can apply for this at

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request a paper application form, contact Lewes District Council by email or telephone 01273 471600.

Skip to content